St Cross is situated on high ground to the north east of Knutsford Town Centre. It is a fine example of the Architects Paley and Austin’s work, built in 1880-1881 and enlarged in 1890. It is a Grade II* listed building which is of particular interest to The Victorian Society who periodically arrange special tours. There are two excellent examples of Edward Burn Jones stained glass windows.
There is a self-guided tour of the church and there will be an ongoing visual presentation.
There will at selected times be opportunities to ring the bell (good for younger people in particular) and hear the music of the fine organ rebuilt by Willis and Sons.
The weekend of the Open Days coincides with the church Patronal Festival (Holy Cross Day) and the church will be decorated with flowers for the occasion.
Colouring books and a treasure hunt are provided for children.
- Saturday 9 September: 10:00-16:00
No booking required
Access to the toilets from inside the church is via six steps in the parish hall. Disabled users must go through the North Door and around the church to the Parish Hall entrance. Care needs to be taken in the church when walking over ‘carpet edges’.
St Cross is used through the week for public worship and is available for the community who require the pastoral services of baptism, marriage and funerals. Other organisations in the community use the Parish Hall facilities.